How do I secure my home while on vacation?
Protect your home while on vacation
- Set timers on interior lights. This goes a long way in deterring burglars, who are often looking for crimes of opportunity.
- Don’t do or socialize status updates.
- Alert your alarm company.
- Secure your valuables.
- Adjust the HVAC.
- Protect your pipes.
- Check doors and windows.
How do I prepare my house for my absence?
How to put your home in vacation mode
- Adjust your thermostat.
- Consider call temperature monitors.
- In most cases, turn off the water.
- Wrap your toilet bowls.
- Adjust your water heater correctly.
- Empty your refrigerator.
- Avoid Stinky Garbage Disposal Syndrome (SGDS)
- Unplug almost everything.
How do you clean your house before the holidays?
Before you leave:
- Wash, dry and put away all the dishes.
- Dispose of trash until clear (peel of citrus fruits helps freshen it)
- Wipe down counters and other kitchen surfaces.
- Sweep/vacuum/wash floors.
- Clean out the refrigerator (throw out any food that could spoil while you’re away)
Should you leave a light on when you go on vacation?
Don’t leave your house lights on for your entire vacation in order to make it look like there’s someone in the house. Your electric bill will end up costing more than your mortgage, and house lights on all night can look a little suspicious.
What are some home security tips?
Our 7 easy-to-follow home security tips
- Don’t neglect the security housekeeping.
- Maintain adequate home security.
- Always remember home fire safety.
- Eliminate electrical hazards.
- Always practice good food safety.
- Have what you need.
- Encourage safe habits.
How can I leave my house for a long time?
shut off the water main. Leave your thermostat set at 60 degrees (most people leave it at 55 degrees) if it’s winter time. Leave the thermostat set at 80-82 degrees if it’s daylight saving time. Set timers at different times in different places to make the house look busy.
What to do with your house on vacation?
A great way to give the illusion of occupancy while on vacation and on a budget is to install timers and motion sensors on your light fixtures. Timers are easily purchased at any home supply store and are as easy to install as plugging in a lamp. Timers act as intermediaries between light and socket.
What can you do to keep your home safe while on vacation?
Before going on vacation, you may decide to close your curtains to prevent people from looking inside your home to see if you are there. However, closed curtains also prevent those aiming to help you – the police, your neighbors or your friends – from seeing inside your home.
What should I do in my apartment before going on vacation?
Garbage, leftover food, and half-finished laundry can also be a breeding ground for bacteria or a feast for insects, which you really don’t want to settle in while you’re away. Take out the trash, wash and put away all the dishes, wipe down your countertops, eat or throw away perishables, and make sure to clean the bathroom before you leave.
Need to prepare your home for the holidays?
Vacations can be an amazing time to relax and unwind, but they also require a little prep work. After all, you can’t leave for happy days without first getting your house in order. So, before you go on vacation, make sure your house is ready for the weather apart.