American Airlines offers flights to many popular European destinations from its hubs across the United States. For American travelers looking to visit Europe, knowing which cities can be reached directly on American Airlines can help simplify trip planning. This comprehensive guide will outline all the European cities that American flies to directly from the US.
Major European Hubs
American Airlines flies to several major international airport hubs across Europe. These major hubs allow for easy connections across Europe once arriving from the US.
London Heathrow Airport (LHR) is American’s largest transatlantic hub. American offers 26 daily flights from destinations across the US into Heathrow. This makes London the most connected European city in American’s network.
From London, travelers can connect onward to destinations across the UK, Ireland, and continental Europe. Heathrow offers an enormous choice of destinations given it’s size and number of airlines operating there.
Paris Charles de Gaulle
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) is another major European hub for American. The airline offers 6 daily flights into Paris CDG from US cities.
Paris offers easy access to high-speed rail connections to destinations across France and Europe. The city itself is a hugely popular tourist destination.
Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is the largest airport in Germany and a major hub for American Airlines. The carrier provides twice-daily service between Frankfurt and its US hubs.
Frankfurt is conveniently located in central Germany and has one of the largest route networks in Europe. Excellent rail connections provide easy access across Germany and beyond.
Madrid Barajas Airport (MAD) is the main international airport serving Spain’s capital city. American flies to Madrid 5 times daily from destinations across the United States.
In addition to serving as a hub for connections within Spain, Madrid is also a popular European gateway for Latin American destinations given its language and cultural connections.
Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport (FCO) is a major hub for American Airlines in Italy. American will operate 7 daily flights into Rome from various US airports in summer 2023.
Rome offers access to southern Italy and Mediterranean destinations. As the capital of Italy, it is a hugely popular tourist destination in its own right.
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS) is the Netherlands’ main international airport and offers several daily flights on American Airlines. For summer 2023, American will provide twice-daily service between Amsterdam and the US.
Amsterdam is a popular destination and also provides easy access to destinations across the Benelux region and northern Europe.
Barcelona–El Prat Airport (BCN) is the largest airport serving Spain’s Catalonia region. For summer 2023, American will operate 4 daily flights into Barcelona from various US hubs.
In addition to serving as a gateway to Spain’s Mediterranean coast, Barcelona is a hugely popular tourist destination thanks to its beautiful architecture and cultural attractions.
Dublin Airport (DUB) provides American Airlines’ primary access to Ireland. For summer 2023, American will offer 4 daily flights into the Irish capital.
Dublin offers easy access to destinations across Ireland. The city itself combines historical sites with a lively modern culture.
Athens International Airport (ATH) serves as American’s hub for reaching Greece. For summer 2023, American will fly to Athens from New York JFK and Chicago 3 times daily.
As the historic capital of Greece, Athens is hugely popular for its ancient sites like the Acropolis and Parthenon. Greece’s islands are also easily accessible via Athens.
Other Notable European Destinations
In addition to these major hubs, American Airlines also flies to many other popular European cities directly from the US:
- Munich, Germany: American will offer daily service to Munich (MUC) from its hub cities for summer 2023. Munich provides access to southern Germany and destinations like Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Milan, Italy: Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP) will receive daily service from American Airlines for summer 2023. Milan offers easy access to northern Italy including Lake Como, Cinque Terre, and more.
- Venice, Italy: Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE) will have daily flights from American for summer 2023. Venice is world-famous for its canals and historic architecture.
- Lisbon, Portugal: American will fly daily to Lisbon Portela Airport (LIS) in summer 2023. Lisbon provides access to Portugal’s beautiful southern coast.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Daily service to Zurich Airport (ZRH) from American will be offered for summer 2023. Zurich provides access to the Swiss Alps and picturesque small towns.
- Brussels, Belgium: Brussels Airport (BRU) is served from Philadelphia and Chicago by American Airlines. Brussels is the capital of Belgium and the EU.
- Düsseldorf, Germany: Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) is served from Charlotte and Philadelphia by American Airlines. Düsseldorf is located in Germany’s industrial heartland.
- Manchester, UK: Manchester Airport (MAN) is served from Philadelphia and Chicago by American Airlines. Manchester provides access to northern England.
New European Destinations for 2023-2024
American Airlines continues to expand its European network by adding new transatlantic routes. For the 2023 and 2024 summer seasons, American will launch flights to the following new European destinations:
- Nice, France: New seasonal service from Philadelphia to Nice Côte d’Azur Airport (NCE) launching in summer 2024. Nice provides access to the French Riviera.
- Naples, Italy: New seasonal service from Philadelphia to Naples International Airport (NAP) launching in summer 2024. Naples serves as a gateway to southern Italy.
- Copenhagen, Denmark: New seasonal service from Philadelphia to Copenhagen Airport (CPH) launching in summer 2024. Copenhagen is the historic capital of Denmark.
- Athens, Greece: New seasonal service from New York JFK to Athens starting in summer 2023. Athens is the historic capital of Greece.
- Dublin, Ireland: New seasonal service from Charlotte to Dublin launching in summer 2023. Dublin is the capital and largest city in Ireland.
- Madrid, Spain: New seasonal service from Charlotte and Dallas to Madrid starting in summer 2023. Madrid is the capital and largest city in Spain.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands: New seasonal service from Dallas to Amsterdam launching in summer 2023. Amsterdam is the capital and most populous city in the Netherlands.
- Barcelona, Spain: New seasonal service from Chicago to Barcelona launching in summer 2023. Barcelona is the capital of Spain’s Catalonia region.
Full List of American Airlines European Destinations
Here is the complete list of destinations in Europe that are served by American Airlines as of March 2023:
|Austria||Vienna||Vienna International Airport|
|France||Paris||Charles de Gaulle Airport|
|France||Nice||Nice Côte d’Azur Airport|
|Germany||Berlin||Berlin Brandenburg Airport|
|Greece||Athens||Athens International Airport|
|Italy||Milan||Milan Malpensa Airport|
|Italy||Naples||Naples International Airport|
|Italy||Rome||Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport|
|Italy||Venice||Venice Marco Polo Airport|
|Netherlands||Amsterdam||Amsterdam Airport Schiphol|
|Portugal||Lisbon||Lisbon Portela Airport|
|Spain||Barcelona||Barcelona–El Prat Airport|
|Spain||Madrid||Madrid Barajas Airport|
|United Kingdom||Edinburgh||Edinburgh Airport|
|United Kingdom||London||Heathrow Airport|
|United Kingdom||Manchester||Manchester Airport|
American Airlines provides direct flights to many of Europe’s most popular destinations from its hub cities across the United States. Major European hubs like London Heathrow, Paris, Madrid, and Frankfurt offer abundant connections across the continent and UK. Seasonal routes also provide access to sought-after destinations like Nice, Venice, Lisbon, and more. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, American Airlines’ extensive European network provides high quality transatlantic service and options to suit diverse travel needs.
- American Airlines flies directly to over 25 cities across Europe from hubs in the US.
- London Heathrow is American’s largest European hub with 26 daily flights from the US.
- Other major hubs include Paris, Madrid, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and Rome.
- American continues to expand its European network, adding new seasonal routes each year.
- Destinations like Nice, Naples, Copenhagen, and Athens will be added for summer 2023 and 2024.
Citations:  https://www.aa.com/en-us/flights-to-europe  https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2023/03/25/american-airlines-to-offer-64-daily-flights-to-europe-this-summer/  https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2023/More-for-2024-American-Airlines-adds-new-routes-and-destinations-to-see-the-world-next-summer-NET-RTS-08/default.aspx  https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/american-airlines-adds-new-routes-europe-summer-2024  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Airlines_destinations  https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/american-airlines-philly-europe-flights/3627004/